DCP 46: Walter Biscardi of Biscardi Creative Media, Atlanta, GA
If you have hung around the Creative Cow community for any time, Walter Biscardi is a name you likely recognize. In this episode of the Digital Convergence podcast, I have the privilege of conversing with Walter - a fellow Atlanta metro area resident and founder and CEO of Biscardi Creative Media. Walter has produced and edited a number of television programs that have appeared on The Food Network, NBC, The Weather Channel, Georgia Public Television, and PBS. If you have watched Alton Brown's Good Eats, there's a good chance you've seen him (yes, he's appeared in the show) and his work. Walter is the recipient of the following awards: Emmy, Peabody, CableACE, Telly, Aurora, and many others.
In this episode, Walter relates how he started his business in his home and progressed to become one of the leading post-production facilities in the Atlanta area. Walter is the managing producer for a new program that airs August 6, This American Land, by executive producer Gary Strieker, and hosted by Caroline Reville and Bruce Burkhardt. Walter shares with us the story behind the inception of the show.
Walter passionately shares his feelings on Apple's Final Cut Pro X release and what it means for Biscardi Creative Media. We wrap up our conversation with exciting news about the formation of a new post-production user group in Georgia: Atlanta Cutters - Atlanta's Post Production User Group. Some years ago Atlanta did host one of the earliest Final Cut Pro user group, but it gradually died. With so many incredible post production tools available for today's artists and editors, the time is right for a new user group in Atlanta. ATL Cutters is not focused solely on Final Cut Pro, but embraces other platforms including, but not limited to, Adobe and Avid.
The inaugural first meeting of ATL Cutters is on Wednesday, July 27, 2011, at Turner Studios. The theme for the first meeting: Editorial, Where Do We Go From Here?
Be sure to register here (it's free!): http://www.atlantacutters.com/meeting-registration/
Here's the agenda:
First Half: 20 minute demonstrations of:
- Final Cut Pro X presented by TBD
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 presented by Richard Harrington
- Avid Media Composer 5.5 presented by Rob Russo
- Autodesk Smoke 2012 presented by Ken Larue
- Panel Discussion: Editorial, Where Do We Go From Here?
- Nick Rashby: President, AJA Video Systems
- Michael Harris: Key Account Manager, Avid
- Marc André Ferguson – Autodesk
- Dan Daube: Turner Studios, Director Editorial-Entertainment, Atlanta Cutters Co-Founder
- Kris Merkel: Independent Artist, Atlanta Cutters Co-Founder
- Richard Harrington: Post Production Guru, Adobe Certified Trainer
- Walter Biscardi, Jr.: Owner Biscardi Creative Media, Atlanta Cutters Co-Founder, Moderator
Chris Fenwick and I will be there covering the event.