DCP 181: Excitement versus Wonderment (With Chris Fenwick)
After a several week battle with a severe case of bronchitis, I’m back! In this episode of the Digital Convergence Podcast, Chris Fenwick and I have a conversation that ranges from the use of the golden mean in art, on being a mobile digital media creative, to the difference between excitement and wonderment in video.
Covered in this episode:
- The golden mean / golden ratio
- Being a creative vs doing what our customers want
- Adam Westbrook’s video essay Painting in the Dark: The Struggle for Art in A World Obsessed with Popularity (Part 3 of Delve.TV’s The Long Game series)
- The challenge of our work getting lost in “sea of noise"
- The danger of measuring our self worth by the “like” button
- Why “participation trophies” are a bad idea
- Why we have not recorded a podcast episode for the past several weeks
- Find out why Chris says my latest work is a “whimsical information transfer" video
- Why hosting a podcast website on WordPress may be a bad idea
- My video whiteboard secret is revealed
- Why I use Squarespace and Libsyn for my podcast
- Why Chris and I decided not to do a podcast about podcasting
- The responsibility that comes from sharing your opinion publicly in digital media
- MotionVFX makes a lot of cool plugins!!!
- Why Chris rarely takes his MacBook home
- Chris wants to start a new podcast
- Can a digital media creative make a living using only mobile devices?
- Why mobile production fascinates Chris more than what the latest camera is
- Why I sold my DJI Inspire 1
- Ben Brown Visual Vibs daily vlogger guy: Atlantis Dunes - Visual Vibs
- The GoPro is just as old as the DCP podcast!
- What motivates Chris in this business today
- Excitement vs wonderment
Also in this episode, Kris Simmons – your Video Business Success Coach – tells you how to ask your clients better questions so that you better understand their digital media needs.