DCP 133: Den Lennie - No Nonsense Business For Filmmakers
In this episode I have the pleasure of talking with Den Lennie of Lennie Motion and FStopAcademy. Den is a filmmaker and entrepreneur. You no doubt have come to know of Den as you searched for quality information on the craft of filmmaking. Den has been actively shooting video since 1994. Starting as an eager-to-learn intern at the BBC, Den has become one of the leading authorities on the subject of digital video.
I first asked Den to join this podcast because of his involvement in shooting the launch videos for Sony's PXW-FS7 and Alpha A7s cameras. It was my intention to deep dive into a discussion about these cameras. However, as you listen to this podcast you will see that early on we dive into the fascinating topic of business and marketing for video producers. Den also talks about his new book: Business For Filmmakers (estimated to be available hopefully by January 2015).
It was an amazing experience talking with Den. He graciously shared so much practical information in this episode that I dubbed it the "Million Dollar Episode." I'll be having Den back on the show again!
In this episode:
- Why working in news helped Den make better videos
- The value of having a mentor to advance your craft as a filmmaker
- How to price your work as a video producer
- How doing five star work allows you to be more selective in choosing clients
- Marketing your video business
- How to position yourself to your customers
- Why it's worth paying a premium for a business consultant
- Business Brain versus the Creative Brain
- The value of seeking out higher net worth clients
- Details on Den's new book: Business For Filmmakers
Take your video business to the next level with KRE8 University.
Learn to master color for video at Mixing Light.
Save $25 off the first year of access to Academy of Storytellers.
Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links. They do not affect the price you pay for the services or products linked. I do receive a small commission from the sale that helps offset the cost of publishing this website.